2018 Longboarding Events
Reminder & Clarification of the 6 new 2018 Longboarding Events.
- The stand alone Port Alfred Classic on the 6th-8th April
- Volkswagen SA Open, which will host a Longboard division.
Both are open Men and Women events and will give a seeding for an SA invitation to a WSL Championship, numbers to be confirmed but probably only 1 in each division. The PA event will have 32 male and 16 female positions available. The PE event will have 16 and 8, due to time constraints. The seeding for the PE event will be based on results from the Port Alfred event.
Entries are open to all, surfers must register with WSL Africa to compete, $ 25/ event and then enter each event, $ 35/ event.
Go to the World Surf League Membership Management System to register and enter.
Contact Terri Fitch on 021 534 5738 or 083 755 9293, for more information or any assistance with entry.
Let’s all really get behind these 2 events and push them within our Clubs. If the events are not fully subscribed and a success, we will probably lose them and that would be a huge setback for competitive Longboard Surfing in SA.
There are 4 x New Speciality Longboard SSA events which have been added to the existing Surf City Series, Port Elizabeth, East London, Durban and Cape Town.
- These will be invitee events, 8 x Men (2 x heats, 1 x final) and 5 x Women (1 x final).
- The invitees will be based on the trial seedings of each province WP, EP and KZN, (2 x Men & 1 x Woman) and the 2017 SA Champ Results.
- Plus 2 x wildcards for each division. The wildcard invites will be chosen by consensus, by the 4 club chairmen and myself, based on results during the past year.
- Prize money will be R8000 Men, R5000 Women or R1000 per contestant.
- Invitees to the 1st, the Volkswagen Nelson Mandela Bay Pro, will be informed by Friday 09/03/17.
They will then be responsible for entering and paying, entry fee (R500) online through SSA.
Should there be any confusion from an individual regarding events, seedings or any other Longboarding issue, please contact your Provincial Club Chairman. Their second port of call, should it be necessary is Paul O Connell, as chairman of SA Longboard Surfing.